Tuesday, December 1, 2009

World AIDS Day

I have to admit that today is the first time I have ever given World AIDS Day a second thought. In the US, AIDS has a stigma associated with it and I ascribed to the mindset that it won't affect me. But now it has.

A friend of mine recently loaned me the book, "There Is No Me Without You" which is a biography of one woman's efforts to help the countless children who have become orphaned because of AIDS. I am quickly learning many things I never knew. And many things that are as far removed from my little suburban stay at home mom life as can be, that is until we opened our hearts to prepare to open our home and our lives to one of these orphans.

Not every child is going to be adopted by US families, and that isn't solving the root of the problem. The Lazarus Effect that is highlighted in the videos below are about getting the needed medicines to the HIV positive people in Africa. In the US, HIV has become a chronic but manageable condition, but not an immediate death sentence as it still is in most of Africa. The turn around of the people in the video is due to access to medicine.

So, today is World AIDS Day. Today Emily and I went to Starbucks and bought our drinks and some Christmas gifts so that Starbucks will donate to Project (red) to fight AIDS in Africa. On one hand I believe that it is a marketing scheme by these corporations who have so much power and influence and could do so much more. But, they are raising awareness, and now, so am I.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...