Saturday, August 8, 2009

Keeping a Secret

If I thought the last few months had been hard on me and Tony as we tried to keep our plans secret, I underestimated what it was going to do to the girls.

They are so excited about their baby sister, that they really can't keep it in. With the start of school, Megan made a family tree as a class project where they were to put a leaf on for each member of their family. She came home with two extra leaves. First she cut out a fifth leaf and was going to glue it on blank, but then she realized that her teacher might ask about it, so she already had glue on it, and glued it to the scrap paper that the other leaves had been on. That paper has one more leaf on it, and she is saving it so that she can add her sister when she gets here.

And then there's Emily. We met my mom for shopping and lunch on Thursday. We got to Joann's before my mom, and Emily started noticing all the baby fabrics and other things and talking about everything that we need for our baby. We stopped and talked about how this is a secret for our 4 family right now. She said she understood, but I was still nervous about her slipping the entire time we shopped. We made it though shopping, and even through lunch until we were walking to the car. Emily comes right out to my mom and announces, "We're going to have a baby. We're going to adopt a baby." I try to play it off as a crazy 4 year old idea, and I hold Emily's hand a little tighter until we are around the driver's side of the truck. As I lift her into her seat, I remind her that this is a secret. So then she says, "Just kidding, we're not going to have a baby." After I drop my mom off, I have a talk with Emily in the car and find out that she was very confused because my mom was buying fabric to make a blanket for my cousin's new baby, and she thought the blanket was for our baby.

Thankfully we are starting the process of letting everyone know, and we can live with no more secrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...