Wednesday, February 10, 2010

6 months

Today marks 6 months since we officially started our adoption process. In the past six months, some of the things I have learned are:


  • that God specifically calls us to care for orphans; James 1:27.
  • how devastating AIDS has been to Ethiopia and the entire continent of Africa.
  • where Ethiopia is.
  • that you can deeply love a child that you haven't met or even know their name.
  • that God provides just what we need when we need it.
  • adoption involves a lot of paperwork.
  • that there are many amazing families who have adopted and we have loved getting to know them.
  • how generous Megan and Emily are.
  • how generous many of our friends and family are.
  • what a dossier is.
  • what an I-600A is.
  • where the USCIS office is in Phoenix.
  • how to be biometrically fingerprinted.
  • that DHL tracking is a great thing.
  • that I am not in control.
  • that Ethiopia is the birthplace of coffee, and Ethiopian coffee is really good.
  • never say that you are done having kids, God may yet change your heart.
  • that I am a doer. I don't sit and wait well. I'm working on that.
  • that Tony has a traffic violation on his police report from over 10 years ago (but mine came back clear, by the way). ;)
  • that the volunteer fingerprinter at the downtown Chandler Police station has an adopted Ethiopian grandson.
  • that adoption can trigger the same hormones as pregnancy, including nesting and craziness.
  • that Megan, Emily, and I don't love Ethiopian food, but Tony does.
  • that I love when people read my blog, and I really love when people leave comments. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it's me just being honest.
  • that I love reading other blogs (especially of people who have adopted or are adopting).
  • there is nothing better you can do with your life than to follow God wholeheartedly.

I know that there are many more things we have learned, and many more things that we will learn, but it just seamed like I had to mark this milestone in a special way. And, if you are adopting or have adopted, in the comments, feel free to add what you are learning or learned along your journey.

5 comments:

  1. mmmm Ethiopian food! Sorry you don't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog too! I LOVE ADOPTION! I am laughing at the hormone thing...it is TRUE! I think it is a tender mercy to help you prepare and bond and love your baby even more. I am excited for your family :)

    Hang in there---

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys, been thinking of you all and praying all is going well! After reading your blog I am pleased to hear that the car has been fixed and at a low cost to you..praise the Lord. Enjoyed reading the updates, and am encouraged in reading your journey! Sending my love, Rach

    ReplyDelete
  4. The love that you share with each other and with all of us, is just a sampling of the love that your daughter will be receiving. Your faithfulness in our Lord and Savior is inspiring and uplifting. He loves us the most! When I grow up... I want to be you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is cool. I think I will write a list like this on my blog. God teaches us so many things when we are going through extraordinary events in our lives. I will be praying for you and your family. Thanks for being my new friend. Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...