We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
Now honestly, some days my mind just can't grasp what I'm reading. And today was one of those days. I was reading out of obedience, yet had to read and reread passages because of distraction. But then when the word "adoption" pops up in a verse, it made me go back and really study it with renewed application and interest.
So, this is what I learned today:
As redeemed followers of Christ, this (earth) is not our home. We are waiting to be adopted by our Father and live with Him in Heaven. But we aren't there yet. This is where we were born, this is all we know, but it isn't what we were made for. Huh. On some scale I can relate. I love and long for Allison (a small picture of how God loves and longs for us), but we are not yet together as we are meant to be. We have already been adopted by Him (as Allison has been matched to our family), but we are still separated. As I am human, and so much less than God, I can only imagine on a small scale how He feels, and why it was so important for Jesus to do what He had to do to redeem us. If
Oh, and God didn't forget to speak to me in this, "But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently." Patiently. I'm really trying.
And Lord, thank you for the promises in the following verses. Thank you for the Spirit who is interceding on my behalf and lifting up my prayers for my family when I don't even know what to pray anymore. We believe with everything in us that God is gifting Allison to us to love and raise, so because we believe that we are within God's will, I believe that the Spirit is interceding for us. What a wonderful promise to hold onto.
We don't listen to the radio much when we are in the car. I find that it's our best talking time as a family, but recently I did have K-Love on while we were driving. The song "The Motions" by Matthew West came on, and it had become my theme song for this journey almost a year ago (you can click here to see the video) and again I am reminded of not only how Alli will bless and change our family, but how this journey of adoption has changed, and is continuing to change, me. If we hadn't followed God's prompting at this time last year, our lives would be totally different.
I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but me, but I just wanted to share my thoughts and what God shared with me today. Thanks again for following our journey to Alli.
No comments:
Post a Comment