Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Loving Ethiopia: Day 28


PENS:
During our day trip to the Portuguese Bridge, we were talking with our driver, Wendi (pictured in the red jacket), and he told us that the kids love getting candy and pens. As we passed through a small town we stopped at a little store and, along with our friend Kelly (pictured holding the pens), bought most of their candy and all of their pens. This picture was taken as we stopped to see some wild baboons along the road. Whenever we stopped we were surrounded by kids either asking for something, or trying to sell something. They preferred the pens over the candy. We were so sad that we did not have many pens and decided that when we go back, we were taking pens with us. On one of our last days, we were shopping for dresses for our girls and I gave a little guy the pen I was carrying in my backpack. He came back a minute later sad because it did not work. I felt SO bad, but it was the only pen I had on me. Luckily, someone else in our group replaced it for him.
So today, I scrounged through our house and came up with a large collection of random pens; many from hotels and realtors, and even a few old SOS pens. The girls helped me test every pen, because I did not want to give out a dud again. Most of this process has had to be a mommy & daddy process, but it is fun to be able to involve the girls when we can. They had fun helping, and I could see that they knew why it was important to make sure they worked and who they were for. I love to see their little hearts be so giving and loving to a country and to a people they cannot completely understand.
If you have any pens you are interested in sending with us, and can get them to us before we leave, we would gladly get them distributed. It is amazing how, what seems to us to be, a simple ballpoint pen can bring such joy to a child. It is so much fun giving to kids who are so appreciative.

by Tony
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...